Michelle L. Kopnski’s practice is concentrated in corporate transactions, including negotiation, analysis, documentation and implementation of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures involving public and privately held companies; Federal, state and local taxation issues; wealth transfer and business succession planning; Federal and Pennsylvania taxation and appellate proceedings; and business and tax planning. Michelle also advises non-profit and tax-exempt entities on formation, governance and tax compliance. She is the co-author of Qualifying as a Nonprofit Tax-Exempt Organization, published by Quorum Books, Inc.
Michelle began her legal career as a Judicial Law Clerk for the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.
Michelle graduated in 1980 magna cum laude from West Virginia University with a B.S. in Business Administration. She received her J.D. in 1985 from West Virginia University College of Law, where she was a member of the Law Review, and her LL.M. in Taxation in 1987 from New York University School of Law.
She is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Memberships & Affiliations:
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Taxation Section, Council Member
- Treasurer (2008-2010)
- Finance Committee, Former Chairman
- Audit Committee, Former Chairman
- Allegheny Tax Society, Board Member
- The Press Club of Western Pennsylvania, Board Member
- Allegheny Business Network – Business Referral Organization, Board Member
- West Virginia University College of Law Development Council
- West Virginia University College of Law Visiting Committee
- West Virginia University College of Law Alumni Association, Board Member
- West Virginia University College of Law Pittsburgh Alumni Association, Board Member
- West Virginia University College of Law Class Agent
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Taxation Section